To move to a new house, you will need to first plan and prepare for the move. This might involve packing your belongings into boxes, hiring a moving company to help transport your things, and arranging for utilities to be set up at your new home. Once you are ready to move, you will need to physically transport your belongings to your new home. This might involve loading up a truck or other vehicle with your boxes and furniture, and driving to your new house.
It is important to be organized and efficient during the moving process to make it as smooth and stress-free as possible. You might want to create a checklist of tasks to complete and enlist the help of friends and family to make the move easier. We’ve created this checklist to help make your move across town stress-free and much simpler.
Basic Moving Checklist to Help Prepare for a Move
Following this basic checklist should help make your move across town as smooth and stress-free as possible
• 1). Start by creating a moving timeline and budget to help you plan and stay organized throughout the process.
• 2). Begin packing early, starting with items you don’t use as often and working your way to the essentials of your household. Be sure to label all boxes with their inside contents and the room they belong in at your new home.
• 3). Arrange for a moving company or rental truck to transport your personal belongings to your new house.
• 4). Set aside important documents, such as your passport, birth certificate, and insurance papers, and keep them with you or in a safe location during your move.
• 5). Notify your utility providers ahead of time, such as your electricity, internet, and water company, of your move and arrange for services to be transferred to your new address.
• 6). Forward your mail to your new address using the USPS change of address form to forward all physical mail to your new location before you move.
• 7). Update your address on any online accounts, or memberships, such as your Amazon account, bank, or gym membership in order to provide a smooth transition process.
• 8). On the day of your move, be present to help supervise the movers and direct them into the rooms of your new house.
• 9). After moving in, take your time to unpack and settle into your new space. This might involve unpacking your boxes, arranging furniture, and making sure all of your belongings are in the right place.
How Many Moving Boxes Do You Need For Each Room During A Move?
Although this is a rough estimate you might need the following number of boxes for each room:
• Bedroom: 10-15 Moving Boxes
• Living Room: 10-15 Moving Boxes
• Kitchen: 15-20 Moving Boxes
• Bathroom 5-10 Moving boxes
Of course, these are just estimates and you will need to assess your own situation to determine the exact number of boxes you need. It is better to have more boxes than you think you need, rather than not having enough. You can always return or recycle unused moving boxes after the move.
How Many Moving Blankets Do You Need During A Move?
• 1 Bedroom – 12 Moving Blankets
• 2 Bedrooms – 24 Moving Blankets
• 3 Bedrooms – 36 Moving Blankets
• 4 Bedrooms – 48 Moving Blankets
Typically speaking you will need at least one moving blanket per 5 square feet of space inside the back of a moving van or box truck (source: Moving Blankets Info). This can greatly change depending on the square feet inside of your house as well as the number of rooms inside of the house that is furnished.
The Cost of Hiring Professional Movers vs Doing It Yourself
The cost of hiring professional movers will vary depending on a number of different factors, such as the distance of the move, the amount of stuff you need to move, and the time of year you plan to move. In general, it is best to get quotes from several different moving companies in order to compare prices and find the best deal. Also, make sure to ask about their licensing and insurance to make sure they are a legitimate company that can protect your personal belongings in case of damage or loss
Before finding the ideal professional moving company for your next move check online to view prior experiences and feedback from customers’ reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask the company about their experience with moving and the type of services they offer to make sure they can handle your exact moving needs.
Most professional moving companies will provide you with free quotes, so it is a good idea to get a few quotes to compare and find the best company to go with. In general, the cost of hiring professional movers can range from a few hundred dollars for a small, local move to several thousand dollars for a long-distance move on average. Depending on the time of year this can also cause the price of professional moving services to vary greatly due to Summer time generally being the busiest time of year to move. Alternatively, moving rates during winter are often reduced greatly due to less demand.
If you are by all means able to gather a few friends, family members, or even co-workers to help during a move it can be much cheaper or even in some circumstances free – although you may owe some favors in the long term for doing such. Lastly, one more important thing to consider before going with professional movers or just doing it yourself you should ask yourself if you are physically capable of moving appliances, kitchen tables, or even refrigerators. These household items can weigh upwards of several hundred pounds and can cause potential injuries if you are not careful.
Frequently Asked Moving Questions
What should I Do about my pets during a move? – Ideally, you should see if it is at all possible to leave your pets with a friend or family member during a move to minimize stress or disruption. If you are unable to find someone to look after the pet and you have an empty bathroom inside of the new house it may be a good idea to store them inside of the room until the move is complete to avoid the slight chance of the animals becoming injured during a move or personal belongings becoming damaged. Before storing the pets inside a room you should make sure they have plenty of water, food, and other supplies that are needed.
What weight of moving blankets should I purchase for my move? – We always recommend our customers to go with either our middle ground tier or heaviest duty tier to prevent expensive furniture from being dinged or scratched during transit. The general rule of thumb when it comes to moving blankets is that is cheaper to purchase a moving blanket than replace a damaged piece of furniture that may or may not be always replaceable. If you are using professional movers odds are they are already using heavier-duty moving blankets as they tend to last longer and provide more durability.